How to Claim Housing Benefit
Drop in to the Housing Benefit Office at 125 Westmuir Street, Glasgow to make a claim. Telephone number is 0141-287-5050.
The offices are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 4.30 (5.30 on Thursday). Please note the offices are closed for staff training from 1.00pm on the third Wednesday of every month.
Under certain circumstances you can ask for a Home Visit to help you complete your application form and collect the information they require.
What proof will I need?
The Council is committed to paying the right benefit, to the right person at the right time. We will only ask for evidence to support your claim that we believe is reasonable, for example proof of:-
· Your identity and National Insurance number (and partner's)
· Your rent
· Where you live
· Your income (and partner's)
· Savings & Investments (you may still qualify even if you have savings)
· Occupational pension (and partner's)
· The circumstances of other people who live with you
Housing Benefit only accept original documents.
How your Housing Benefit is worked out?
The amount of benefit you will receive depends on:
· How much rent and/or council tax you are due to pay
· Your (and your partner's) weekly income
· Any savings and investments you (and your partner) have
· Your age and the age of any member of the family who lives with you
Discretionary Housing Benefit
If you are receiving Housing Benefit but are still having difficulty meeting your rent payments, you may be able to get extra help from the Discretionary Housing Payment Fund.
The fund has been made available by the Council with assistance from the Government.
If you wish to be considered for a payment from the Discretionary Housing Payment Fund you must complete a claim form.
Milnbank Housing Association
53 Ballindalloch Drive
Phone: 0141 551 8131